From Scotland, Turbo-charged Harryhausen style Dynamation

May 26, 2011

This is from our Stop Motion brother Peter Montgomery. Example of what can be done with mega-loads of creativity, resourcefulness, and blending of old school effects methods with digital compositing & tweaking. Does not cost mega-millions for the production budget.

Peter first posted the above at his facebook page and I made this comment there …. “Maybe, most people so accustomed to CGI and not realizing contribution of this to Harryhausen’esque style FX  … a  still viable technique & cost effective. Different unique flavor than same ol cgi stuff. Excellent work Peter!”

I am always on the internet lookout, and unfortunately, I am ASTOUNDED, that internationally/globally, there is almost NOBODY doing current & modern Harryhausen-esque stop motion character special effects :x . I may elaborate, comment, tirade about this in a later Stop Motion Works post.

Topics: Dynamation, Puppet Animation, Special Effects, Stop Motion | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “From Scotland, Turbo-charged Harryhausen style Dynamation”

I did that side mount rod thing for a lion I built, cause it had to jump through a ring of flames. It worked well-it’s in “Butterlies” by Andy Bailey. I just added an extra piece of aluminum to the armature and threaded a hole- and sent them a piece of threaded rod with the model and a little bracket…

Ron Cole also suspends his puppets from rods when animating with the front/back light method.

I wish I had made that armature. Well, maybe one day. ;)

3. Peter A. Montgomery. says:

Hey U_Ani. No, I used a travelling rig with an adjustable rod into the side of the puppet and advanced the whole thing forwards to pass the camera. But for a static tracking shot the device you’ve constructed would be perfect if the whole figure needed to be in the shot. Another way is to use the same side mounted set up keeping the puppets legs and body moving but with the whole set up locked off. nice armature by the by.

You mean one of these? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjsUln1c2sU&playnext=1&list=PL94CCE5C31E06FBC6

And it indeed is better to approach things practically to offer variety. Art design is always the same regardless of the build. But at least the final product won’t have a computer simulated meaning this way. Sidestepping too much limitations with mesh models tends to go that way.

5. Peter A. Montgomery. says:

I did worry about the net not being a movable thing with a wire armature inside. But animated carefully it did come out rather well. There was also a home made walking rig I used for the two sections were the full body of the beast was shown. It did have tie downs but the feet looked too fixed to the ground. Like Ron said a while back, (we need to push the limits of Stop-motion to better combine it with live action.) Camera moves and shadow FX and authentic motion blurs all go one hell of a way to making it stand up as an Alternative to CGI in this day and age . And a very big threat. it just feels more real and has something very cool about it. you tend to remember a stop-motion character a lot more.

Yep, very efficient alternative.

I really liked the shot of the head moving around under the net toward the end. Good job!

Couldn’t get gander because he has a tendency to remove his videos to tweak them. But I bet it’s great.

Selective mixing. All one needs to do is approach any visual just far enough practically and then sidestep the rest of the limitations digitally. That way you can avoid being too limited and too sidestepping at the same time and the end results will still be more variable and interesting than if you were to sidestep all limits with computer models. The extra is that you get to do it quite cheap let alone in a realistic schedule.

Good one Pete! Perfectly blended together, smoothly animated, but still with that stopmo magic about it! Great to see your own creature animation after looking at what you’ve done with adding motion blur to classic stopmotion sequences.

This looks totally fantastic! So producers really need to ask themselves what they could have done with modern Dynamation if there actually a budget involving million$? The time has come, the day is here, we really gotta get back to cost effective REAL special effect – as Peter Montgomery has clearly demonstrated here! :D

COMMENTS