New Stop-Motion Technology Eliminates the Need for Complex Rigs

March 9, 2013

Here is something that passed by in front of my desk. Not sure what to make of it yet. The ‘new’ technique is an attempt to mix/blend some special effects methods: Frame by frame Stop Motion combined with Live Action manipulation of the stop motion element (in real time). It is somewhat difficult for me to ‘keyboard describe’ it. Check out the video ….

Again, I am trying to see possible applications of this on real stop motion projects. The video gives simple examples. Could possibly reduce some of the labor on a stop motion produciton. I do not see a name of a company behind this or if it is available yet. For the more pro-active (you or maybe you?) people reading this, you might consider further researching this and perhaps volunteer as a Beta tester, also offer suggestions?? You know, give them some encouragement. If anyone digs up additional information, please let us know. A new product or innovation will not have a chance to succeed if people do not know about it!

LINKS: Direct link to ArticleVideo-based Interface for Hand-Driven Stop Motion Production

Topics: Learning-Education-Tools, Special Effects, Stop Motion | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “New Stop-Motion Technology Eliminates the Need for Complex Rigs”

1. Peter A. Montgomery says:

I have no use for this at all. It’s a tool for amatures, and yet another example of things being made easy for the dummies. .

Why not shoot live action grab the chair with a green screen glove and as Ron said pull it out in post after shooting in live action? Who needs animation at all for this stuff?

3. Langley says:

Cool, but, as stated above, too much work for the final product. If I have to hold the thing trying to line it up for each keyframe…I’d rather just animate the thing once.

4. Nick H says:

No use to me either. Making a simple rig and shooting once, is easier to me than holding it up each frame, then having to repeat the process and match the positions as well as possible, to give it info for removing your fingers. I don’t animate simple unarticulated objects that often anyway. A great mental exercise for the creators, working this out, but not something I think animators are hanging out for.

At first looking at it made me intrigued but the end results weren’t really more special than placing an object to the tip of a rod and moving it around. The objects in question also weren’t exactly living, complex character puppets but everyday things like lamps, boxes and tools with barely any articulation. Maybe if it were tested on something different it’s potential could be better demonstrated.

6. Dave Hettmer says:

To be fair, the intro did say it was for amateurs, so I wouldn’t expect any of us to find it useful.

After watching this I came to the conclusion that it would be a good research project for young programmers, with image analysis, automatic roto work (with artifacting as Ron noted) and various other things. But it’s not really practical except for use by middle school students as a toy to play with a couple of times.

Then I followed the links and guess what – it’s a student research project associated with the City University of Hong Kong. It’s a throwaway project with no practical value.

7. jasong says:

“non intuitive”??!!! Who is this idiot?!

8. Grecodan says:

This seems way too complex for the end result.

I have a very difficult time imagining anything I would ever use this software for. I get the impression that if I were to ever come upon a situation where I could use it, it would take me longer to download it, learn to use it and shoot several shots to get it right, than it would to just use a traditional rig and pull it out in post. And it doesn’t help that in this demo video, one of the shots of the chair ‘moving on it’s own’ showed lots of image noise and flashing where the person’s hand was removed by the software.

My final analysis – ✭☆☆☆☆

10. Brett McCoy says:

They don’t show how it might work for articulated puppets, though… animating cups and chairs is one thing (and easy enough to do in the traditional fashion), but animating a complex character with arms, legs, a head, mouth, etc., is a completely different thing.

COMMENTS